Wednesday, December 10, 2014
Saturday, November 29, 2014
We made it through the eating-est holiday of the year and kept on the vegan track. My mother-in-law brought turkey for the meat eaters. Everything else was vegan-ified. We had five meat eaters in the crew and four veggie/vegans. The menu looked like this:
- Celebration Roast - a vegan nut and vegetable loaf thing. It was pretty good. (Whole Foods)
- Dried Apricot and Black Currant Stuffing - my favorite recipe with Earth's Balance "butter" substituted for the real thing, and vegan stuffing mix substituted for the regular. It was fantastic. Couldn't tell the difference.
- Mashed Potatoes - I made these with Earth's Balance faux butter and a little salt and they were great.
- Vegan Mushroom Gravy - This was pre-made and sort of meh. (Whole Foods)
- Caramelized Brussel Sprouts w/ Toasted Garlic
- Sauteed Carrots w/ Honey and Lemon
- Bread Rolls - vegan
- Cranberry Sauce - just raw cranberries with a little sugar and some orang zest
- Vegan Coconut Cake - I bought this from Real Food Daily and it was terrific
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie - I ordered this from Real Food Daily too and it was terrible. Really terrible, like no one ate more than a bite and we threw the rest away terrible.
- Sparkling Juice
- Red Wine for the drinkers
This whole thing was much easier to pull off than I had anticipated.
For a list of what I ate Friday and Saturday, consult the list above.
Monday, November 10, 2014
I had a vegan salami and vegan cheese sandwich today. It tasted so strongly of onion that I pulled the sandwich apart to remove the onion and there was no onion. So, I guess we know what they put in the "salami."
HERE is a good link to some vegan Thanksgiving options. I also got some ideas from my vegan guru friend, Trina. I'll share them here soon. I think this weekend will be my trial run for new vegan Thanksgiving recipes. Probably.
What I ate today:
• oatmeal w/ bananas, raisins
• vegan salami/vegan cheese sandwich (Grassroots)
• green drink - kale, spinach, cucumber, apple, lemon, orange
• green salad - mixed lettuce, sunflower seeds, avocado, tomato, olive oil, Bragg's Nutritional Yeast
Wednesday, November 5, 2014
Little, purple fingerling potatoes showed up in the organic delivery box today. They were very tiny with a different texture than a regular potato - smoother and less grainy. I should have taken a photo of them but I was in too much of a hurry to eat them, so here's a picture of some carrots that were also in the box.
I threw together some chia seeds with almond milk and raw cacao powder and let it sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. What happened next tasted like chocolate pudding - in a tapioca-ish boba kind of way. It's good. My 8 year-old likes it too. Bob liking a raw/vegan dessert = minor miracle.
What I ate today:
baked purple fingerling potatoes
lightly sauteed green beans
baby kale salad w/ olive oil, Himalayan pink salt, and sunflower seeds
2 Medjool dates
chia seed chocolate pudding
Tuesday, November 4, 2014
We've been talking about Thanksgiving around here. Traditionally, we host our family and friends at our place. There will be a turkey breast for our non-vegan guests. (Thanks, Honeybaked.) I have been talked out of "Tofurkey" by approximately every member of Facebook, so not going there. I've been looking into how to make some vegan versions of the usual sides.
A vegetable side, probably green beans sauteed with shallots - no problem. Maybe a green salad AKA Thanksgiving roughage - easy peasy. Sweet potatoes are simple and I think my usual stuffing recipe is vegan. Some of the things I'm going to try out before Turkey/Not Turkey Day will be vegan mashed potatoes, (If they're bad, I'll just make the real thing for our guests.) and vegan mushroom gravy, instead of turkey gravy. I can get a vegan pie and a non-vegan pie. And some variations on rolls.
I'll let you know how the new recipes turn out. You know I will.
Today I ate:
green juice - kale, spinach, cucumber, apple, orange, lemon (Grassroots)
bananas and strawberries
mixed baby kale salad w/ avocados, sunflower seeds, olive oil and Bragg's Nutritional Yeast
Delicata squash sauteed in olive oil w/ Himalayan pink salt
felafel w/ hummus, tomatoes, and Persian cucumbers
Monday, October 27, 2014
Monday, October 20, 2014
I tried the Go Raw Organic Super Lemon Cookies. "Cookies" should be in quotes. It's more like a sesame cracker mixed with Murphy's Oil Soap for Hardwood Floors. Despite that, I still had a difficult time putting them down.
Today for lunch I tried to eat one of those Back to Life Raw Vegan Chees-y Pizzas because apparently I don't read my blog and forgot how not good it is.
What I ate today:
• 2 bananas
• macadamia nuts
• part of a Back to Like Raw Vegan Cheeze-y Pizza (Grassroots)
• green drink - kale, spinach, cucumber, apple, orange, lemon (Grassroots)
• Ratel Intl Vegan Ater - yellow peas in injera wrap (Grassroots)
• Go Raw Organic Lemon Super Cookies (Pavillions)
• kale salad w/ olive oil and nutritional yeast